Thursday, March 10, 2011

Doodles.

We all doodle. Or at least we have in the past. Doodles are one of the worst enemies of teachers, a reason for your boss to finally fire you, a love note, a happy face. A doodle can be just a random conversation or a meaningful internal joke.

Doodles are good for you, in spite of popular belief doodles help you concentrate and focus while doing boring tasks, they can help you make up your mind or help you find that last step, number, word or equation you were missing to finish your masterpiece. or at least that problem set that bugs you on a Sunday night.

Don't worry. you are not alone. Even presidents doodle!!! and they are actually quite good at it as was documented in "Presidential Doodles: Two Centuries of Scribbles, Scratches, Squiggles and Scrawls From the Oval Office" by Cabinet magazine and David Greenberg.

Here, just to show you some examples:

JFK on the Cuba missile crisis:



FDR on a memo after prohibition:


or Ronald Reagan and his love for cowboys, football and Nancy:


But it turns out I'm interested in YOUR doodles. Why? cause i do it all the time, I draw islands, palms, stadiums, skylines ... everything. and recently I came up with this whale while trying to avoid a tedious task in the office and think it came out pretty well.


So yup, that's it. I am curious to see what people draw in the margins or their notebooks or while cruising through a never ending meeting in hope to find inspiration. send me a picture at doodlalization@gmail.com of a spontaneous doodle you created and a line. what inspired you? what where you thinking at that moment. I'll post it in this wall where doodles are not at the periphery of your sheet but at the center of your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment